Household bills

fleabo

People often ask. We have been here about 18 months. Here are some of our annual spends if it is off any use to anyone in their planning:

Water $960

Rates $1400

Gas $1310 (bottled)

Elec $1180

Firewood $250 (now have built up our own stock from the kerbside)

Family of five, Sydney, kids at primary school, good-sized family house. House empty during the day. I would say that we were pretty frugal on the heating and electric - not sure how we could radically reduce our consumption. Heating mainly gas in the living area plus some oil heaters in the bedrooms occassionally.

Cheers.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Come on folks give this good helpful thread a try, lets here the costs of things in Australia, it helps those thinking about emigrating.

BTW..$150 of the annual gas charge was for an emergency callout when our regulator failed. So really $1150 total.

And the OH reminded me that the leccy includes a $20 charge for late payment :embarrassed: still trying to get use to a new BPAY/Direct Debit/we-will-charge-you-for-paying-by-any-possible-method-other-than-used-Lao-kip a la Ryanair....(Ive been on the whinge powder again :laugh:)

Guest christinenpete

We have been here about a year. We are currently renting and have the following costs:

$240 per week rent,

water $40 a quarter,

electric $72 fortnight (direct debit and we always have lads of credit when the bills come around),

$60 broadband a month,

$30 x2 pay as you go phones a month.

$60 fuel perweek/fortnight (depending on how much travel we do)

$80 shopping per week

There are just the two of us at the moment, living up in the Northern Rivers of NSW.

Hopefully this will helpanyone heading to the more rural areas :)

Rent : $550 a week (there's only both of us)

Water : No idea, I think the landlord pays for it

Elect : $250 quarterly, but we might be paying $350 now since the OH got himself a brand new pc

Gas : $250 or less during winter (quarterly)

Phone : $15 a month (I only use data with occasional calls/text and OH calls me with his work mobile which is paid for, hehe)

Internet : $90 a month

Food : We shop every 3 days, and spend $30 a shot.

• 9 months later...

This year's costs:

Water $988

Rates $1400

Gas $1087 (bottled)

Elec $1337

Firewood $280 (own stock from the kerbside wasn't ready)

Wood burner and installation $4000 :embarrassed:

Family of five, Sydney, kids at primary school, good-sized family house. House empty during the day. I would say that we were still pretty frugal on the heating and electric - not sure how we could radically reduce our consumption. Heating now mainly wood burner in the living area plus some oil heaters in the bedrooms occassionally.

Cheers.

Only bills we pay are electricity and gas, both of which have been consistently around $130 to $150 per quarter! So combined, less than $1200 per year for both :o) We have 3 aircon units which are already being used for summer, gas hot water and I've been taking 2-3 showers a day since getting into swimming.

Ha, non, I don't use the kettle, I don't drink tea or coffee. The only thing I can think of is a tiny oil heater we used to stop us from freezing to death?!

Washing machine? Or is it electric water heater thingy for your shower?

We paid $350 for gas for the last quarter and maybe $400 for electricity (still waiting). There's 3 of us now, rented out the extra room to a friend to sort of offset the bills... Doesn't help when the SO quit his job and always home :arghh:

• 2 months later...

Archived